[webkit-dev] HbbTV support within Webkit

Mark Toller mark.toller at samsung.com
Wed Oct 10 00:26:49 PDT 2012

Hi,

HbbTV and OIPF specifications are available to download from the HbbTV and
OIPF sites:

http://www.hbbtv.org/pages/about_hbbtv/specification.php
http://www.oipf.tv/specifications

The closed standard is the CE-HTML standard, which is referenced by OIPF.
The portions of CE-HTML used by HbbTV and OIPF are essentially a profile of
W3C standards and the AV Control plugin.

We're currently looking at our changes to identify areas that can be
delivered back which can provide benefit to Webkit without causing any
additional maintenance overhead.

What we would like to see initially is Webkit based browsers (Chrome,
Safari, Minibrowser, etc) actually load HbbTV pages instead of asking the
user to download the content - this would indirectly benefit the end goal of
Webkit (to get everyone to support standard W3C/HTML5)... As you can
imagine, most application authors are web developers, and do not necessarily
have experience with HbbTV, OIPF or CE-HTML, so they use the standard
W3C/HTML5/XHTML constructs they are familiar with, except for the TV
specific API's or plugins. More often than not, they'll write their
application so that it can also run on a PC browser, because they have far
better debugging facilities than TVs! However, as soon as the application is
signalled correctly with an HbbTV or CE-HTML mime type, most browsers then
just ask to download the page. Also, many test with a browser in 'HTML'
mode, and not the stricter 'XHTML' mode.

Regards,

Mark.