[webkit-dev] Improving DOM Exception console messages.

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Oct 2 09:33:28 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Mike West <mkwst at chromium.org> wrote:

>  On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> > Where is this spec'ed? If we're exposing this to the Web, we definitely a
> > spec. for this BEFORE implementing it in WebKit.
>
> I don't think Ojan is entirely correct in saying that there's no spec. He's
> correct that no single document exists that outlines all the specific error
> conditions that a browser can encounter, but the set of generic conditions
> is
> specified in DOM core[1], and other specifications reference that spec when
> detailing specific errors. The selectors API spec, for instance, points to
> SYNTAX_ERR in it's processing rules[2].
>
> I'm happy to carry this conversation over to www-dom, but I do hope tha
> discussion wouldn't block changing messages in the inspector, which we
> generally
> seem to agree is both valuable and uncontrovercial. In particular, the
> error
> stack proposal Brendan pointed out seems to be trying to solve a different
> problem than the one I'd like to address. I'm all for giving developers
> even
> more detail, but the proposal I'm making right now is really about giving
> them
> the bare minimum.

Definitely. Improving error messages on Inspector is a huge win for
developers, and there's no need to block that work on the standards
discussion. What I'm worried about is exposing that detailed error messages
to the Web because I've seen js code that parses error messages time to
time :(

- Ryosuke