[webkit-dev] Github vs. git.webkit.org

Tor Arne Vestbø tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com
Fri Nov 30 07:07:14 PST 2012

On 11/28/12 16:55 , Adam Barth wrote:
> My sense is that the WebKit community would prefer that the hashes in
> GitHub match the hashes in git.webkit.org so that folks can more
> easily move branches between the two.  For my part, I've switched over
> to using GitHub exclusive of git.webkit.org, so the the difference in
> hashes aren't an issue for me, but I can understand why they'd be
> problematic for other people.

Yepp, agreed. Let's switch it over.

> After the force-push, would you still be able to push updates
> automatically?  If so, you can switch the hashes whenever is
> convenient for you.  (It might be nice to announce the date/time on
> this list so that folks aren't taken by surprise.)

The mirror is also pushed to http://gitorious.org/webkit/webkit, which I
was planning to keep as is for now, so that would mean setting up an
extra mirroring for the non-author-rewritten history :/ Also, the server
I run this on has a somewhat uncertain future. With that in mind it's
probably easier to just push directly from the same import that's pushed
to git.webkit.org, and make the GitHub mirror an official mirror?

tor arne