[webkit-dev] Adding <main> element to WebCore

James Craig jcraig at apple.com
Thu Nov 29 19:32:06 PST 2012

On Nov 29, 2012, at 7:10 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> I don't see a harm in waiting another couple of weeks or months until standards discussion settles assuming that the main element doesn't become the longdesc of the next decade.

Don't confuse the two. The argument over the @longdesc extension is not even close to unanimous even within the accessibility development circles. Major objections to @longdesc came from several of us working full-time on accessibility.

The main element, in contrast, appears to have near unanimous support amongst the accessibility development community, and is a 1:1 semantic match with role="main" which is being used on many major websites. I think we'll see quick author adoption of <main> once this patch ships.

James