[webkit-dev] Adding <main> element to WebCore

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Nov 28 00:52:26 PST 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 8:39 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:

> I'm stunned that people are arguing this on webkit-dev.
>
> Just FYI, Mozillians with whom I have spoken generally agree that <main> does not meet the high bar required to add a new element to HTML.
>
> Shopping a patch to implementors, to get something into a standard spec by asserting de-facto status based on the patch(es) landing, is bad form.
>
> Back to the whatwg list!

Some points of information:

* This element does have a spec, which is likely to be published by the HTML WG soon:
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-extensions/raw-file/tip/maincontent/index.html>

* At a recent HTML WG face-to-face that included folks affiliated with Opera, Apple, Mozilla, Microsoft and Google, no one spoke against the <main> element, and some spoke mildly in favor, though this was without deep consultation with their respective orgs[*].

* Though Hixie and some others have opposed the <main> element on the whatwg list, no one has really spoken against it in the HTML WG.

My view is that this thread is seeking implementor support for a proposed standard (one that is using the HTML5 / whatwg html "applicable specifications" extension point in what seems to be the intended way). I see this as a valid step in trying to promote a standard, not an attempt to bypass the standards process. Of course, it is entirely possible that the feature won't find consensus in the WebKit community. So I think what Steve is doing here is fine.

Regards,
Maciej

[*] If Mozilla on the whole is agains adding this feature, that is relevant new information.