[webkit-dev] Fwd: Adding <main> element to WebCore

Dominic Mazzoni dmazzoni at google.com
Tue Nov 27 20:15:56 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> The use case for <main> is accessibility navigation. If authors use it
> incorrectly, the feature *doesn't work*. The element becomes pointless.

But it won't break accessibility. Worst case, it starts the screen reader
user at an unusual point in the page. A single keystroke will bring the
user back to the top of the page, so it's no big deal.

So I'm in favor of it, because it's easy for developers, there's a small
positive accessibility benefit, and I don't see any harm if it's sometimes
used incorrectly.

- Dominic