[webkit-dev] Feature Request: Dynamic Application Cache

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Sun Nov 18 10:28:00 PST 2012

On Nov 18, 2012, at 10:18 AM, sridharn <sridhar.ndroid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oops! didn't realize that .. I was planning to make the changes myself to webkit (I'm totally new btw) so that at least I can use it in my environment but wanted to understand the current state and/or how to go about in case there is an acceptable method so that the changes can be pulled into the mainline in case everything works out ..

This thread has gotten overloaded and is suffering due to lack of clarity.  I think you primarily raised two issues.

1 - "The current app cache doesn't work with media files".

This is false.  The design of the app cache is that it *does* work with media files, and we expect it to work with media files.  If you are running in to problems putting media files in the current app cache mechanism, please file a bug at bugs.webkit.org specifying precisely what you tried and with which configuration.

2 - "I wish application cache has dynamic entry support"

This is a feature request (completely unrelated to the fact that you want media files in the app cache).  As Maciej mentioned in an earlier reply feature requests do not belong on WebKit-dev.  The best place to start is probably - again - filing a bug at bugs.webkit.org

Note that if you are a brand new contributor to WebKit, taking on the addition of an entirely new app cache feature is almost certainly going to be way too difficult.

Thanks,
~Brady