[webkit-dev] Feature Request: Dynamic Application Cache

sridharn sridhar.ndroid at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 10:11:11 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Brady Eidson [via Mac OS Forge] <
ml-node+s2317878n200300h27 at n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2012, at 7:47 AM, sridharn <[hidden email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=200300&i=0>>
> wrote:
>
> > Any updates / plans for this feature ??
>
> What feature?
>
> > I do agree with  Stefan on this ..
> > I've been banging my head on how
> > to  cache video files using html 5 storage features and there just
> doesn't
> > seem to be a straightforward way
> > (they all are currently intended for small size text / mobile webkit
> doesn't
> > support file system and blah blah)
> > to do that and feel appcache is cleaner way going forward too for media
> > files ..
>
> Where are you seeing this not work?
>
> At least on the Apple port you should be able to stick audio/video in the
> app cache.  There are a handful of bugzillas that show this work being done
> a long time ago.
>
> If it's not working for you, I look forward to reading the bug you file at
> bugs.webkit.org.

Brad, I was referring the html 5 storage features like local storage,
filesystem, indexdb mechanisms in the above comment .. on how they are
inadequate/add overhead when I need to store a media file. local storage is
not useful for media since it's based on strings. Filesystem and indexdb
will work but there is some effort in either base64 encoding and/or using
ajax and/or using blobs and/or url redirections when all this can be solved
by just exposing the appcache APIs to add/remove entries.

> > Also, mobile webkit (chrome/safari in ios4) don't seem to appcache mp3
> files
> > (~5MB) .. Is this a known issue ?
>
> iOS4 is ancient.  I forget when this first shipped but it should work in
> iOS6.

ok, I'm totally new to this .. So from what I understand webkit is part of
IOS (in case IOS) and is not included as part of the browser like on the
desktop versions (please correct me if I'm wrong here) ?? If this is true,
any feature even if I want to add has to get accepted in webkit community
and get released as part of the official iosX build ? That seems lenghty ..
Is there no way for me to add the changes and test them out on ios4 ?
apologies if I'm asking the wrong questions here and would appreciate if
you could point me in the right direction/mailing list for this ..

> > This should hopefully go away once the dynamic mechanism is added I hope
> ..
>
> Again, not sure precisely which dynamic mechanism you're talking about
> since you included no context in your email, but I don't see how a dynamic
> app cache mechanism is related to the app cache supporting media, which it
> does.

I guess this requirement is clear now.  Sorry about the confusion .. The
part about appcache not supporting media files was limited to ios4 which I
explained above. I was trying to say that dynamic appcache would be helpful
in the sense that adding/removing media files would be much more efficient
than using the html5 storage methods from my understanding.