[webkit-dev] Feature Request: Dynamic Application Cache

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Sat Nov 17 15:43:47 PST 2012

On Nov 17, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:

> Brady Eidson wrote:
>> On Nov 17, 2012, at 7:47 AM, sridharn<sridhar.ndroid at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Any updates / plans for this feature ??
>> What feature?
>>

> Sridharn did not cite context, but his message is in the thread whose head is this post:
>
> https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2012-April/020455.html
>
> where Stefan Wagner wrote:
>
> """
>
> Mozilla Firefox supports dynamic adding of resources into the
> application cache for offline use with the function:
> window.applicationCache.mozAdd(URI String)
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/nsIDOMOfflineResourceList
>
> This is great for persistent storage of assets via javascipt. Instead
> of predefining those assets in the manifest file one can use
> javascript to cache the needed assets. Is there something similar
> planed? Like window.applicationCache.webkitAdd(URI String) ?
>
> """

I knew about that, and we'll likely be interested in taking a look after HTML or WebApps takes it up and gets it into a standard, which I know there's interest in but it hasn't happened yet…

…but I still don't see how this affects media in the current app cache model.

I still look forward to seeing your bug, Sridharn!

~Brady