[webkit-dev] r- your own patches [was: Re: RenderArena: Teaching an old dog new tricks]

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Fri Nov 16 10:35:21 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Julien Chaffraix
<julien.chaffraix at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seconded. I also think only the one who submitted the patch can clear
>> the r? flag. Others should NOT do that, please, even you are a
>> reviewer. You can r- the patch if you believe it is bad.
>
> I disagree with that. You seem to think that patches falls into either
> good or bad. However the reality is more complex and there are levels
> of goodness and badness. I use r- for patches that I really think are
> not in the right direction or shouldn't be landed: it is a statement
> in this direction. Clearing the flag is for patches that are close
> enough but still not up to our standards and that I want to kick off
> the review queue.
>
> This is my reasoning on that and other people likely have different
> views. However I don't think it's unreasonable to clear the flag
> instead of r-'ing in some contexts.

I would be very confused if anyone but me cleared the r? on one of my
bugs, unless it was obvious that the patch was old and buried and I
had just forgotten about it.

If I think a patch has a few flaws but is on the right track (and I
just have questions), I will often leave the r? as-is and expect the
contributor to figure it out (meaning that someone else might then be
okay to r+ it. I will usually only r- a patch if I think the patch
should not be landed as-is and I don't want someone else to r+ it.

-- Dirk