[webkit-dev] moving focus when clicking on scrollbars

Elliott Sprehn esprehn at chromium.org
Thu Nov 1 10:13:29 PDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> Is our current behavior the same as the "every browser engine, except Gecko" behavior described above?

Yes.

- Native *never* moves focus, even if the control is focusable (ex.
the wireless networks list in OS X Preferences.app)

- Trident, WebKit and Presto blur the activeElement when clicking a
scrollbar even if the element with the scrollbar is not focusable.
This results in the body being focused.

- Gecko *only* blurs the activeElement if the element with the
scrollbar is focusable (ex. overflow div + tabindex). That is, Gecko
will only blurs if the focus can be transfered to the scrollbar owner.

> I like the idea of being more like native control behavior.

I agree. I'll update the patch to match Gecko's mostly native, but web
friendly behavior.

- E