[webkit-dev] Simplifying syntax in test_expectations.txt (bug 86691)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu May 17 10:06:36 PDT 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> I don’t understand why we need the ":" or "+" separators.

Unfortunately, "image+text" is different is "image text". The former
indicates that the test will have mismatches in both .txt and .png files
while the latter indicates that either .txt or .png mismatches (i.e. the
test is flaky in terms of which failure it causes).

I personally think this is extremely confusing, and we should get rid of
this distinction altogether, and treat "Image Text" like both "image text"
and "image+text" but I'll defer that to a separate discussion.

I'd say we should rename text, image, and text+image to TextFailure,
ImageFailure, TextAndImageFailures for now to clear the confusion.

Why not just a list of space-separated words and URLs that can be a mix of
> modifiers and outcomes? I don’t think we need to support the same words for
> both modifiers and outcomes. If we want to enforce some kind of order, that
> would be OK, to reduce arbitrary differences.

My thoughts exactly and hence my original proposal.

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> Seriously, syntax is a significant barrier. Having to know which special
> characters to use. I don’t see this “clear delineation” you speak of. Just
> special punctuation I have to use to satisfy the computer.

+zillion to that.

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov at chromium.org>
 wrote:

> Could that be because you haven't actually tried using it? :)

I've been using it for 2 years and still find the syntax completely
arbitrary and annoying. Otherwise, I won't be starting this thread in the
first place :)

e.g. I hate ":" and "=" for their guts as I've repeatedly forgotten to put
them in the right place. It's so bad that I have to run a regex on my text
editor to auto-insert them whenever I'm adding new entries. It's a
significant cost I'm paying every time I have to edit that file.

The problem with delimiter is that I would fee as if l I'm done as soon as
I typed in "Win Mac" because that's the information I need to have so I
have to actively think that I have to insert ":" afterwards. If we really
wanted, I would advocate for grouping them in [ ] as I've suggested before.
They're much easier to remember than delimiters like : and = as they're
grouping symbols instead.

So how about this?

foo/bar.html
WontFix foo/bar.html
WontFix TextFailure foo/bar.html
webkit.org/b/12345 TextFailure ImageFailure foo/bar.html
ImageAndTextFailures [Win Mac Debug] foo/bar.html
Bug(ojan) Fail foo/bar.html
Bug(rniwa) foo/bar.html

- Ryosuke