[webkit-dev] Simplifying syntax in test_expectations.txt (bug 86691)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed May 16 23:42:52 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org>wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> > Also, complex syntax tends to be error-prone. One of the pain points of
> the
> > current syntax is that many people forget to add : and =, or put
> modifiers
> > in where expectations appear and vice versa.
>
> I did that mistake myself, which is why I suggested a well known
> syntax (it would also be easy to verify the syntax automatically if it
> is easy).

Yeah, I think the biggest problem is that we differentiate platforms and
expectations yet we mix modifiers (e.g. SKIP, WONTFIX, etc...)  with
platforms.

That was just an example, I am not pushing for JSON in particular. I am
> just in favor of something so simple you do not have to remember anything.

That's why I was advocating for getting rid of the distinction between
modifiers (including platforms) and expectations so that we can put them in
any order. Given that all tokens are unique, it's silly to require humans
to sort them (<rant>we even used to refuse to run the entire layout tests
for a single syntax error!</rant>). If anything, we can run a script that
automatically sort those tokens periodically.

- Ryosuke