[webkit-dev] Default viewport value on WAP DTDs

Martin Robinson mrobinson at webkit.org
Fri May 4 23:18:44 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan at chromium.org> wrote:
> That said, we did all this testing in 2008. The web may have changed
> considerably since then. In either case, if your UA string diverges too
> much, I expect this problem will just be the tip of the iceberg of
> compatibility problems you'll encounter. So it might be worth considering
> changing your UA string before trying to add new DocType switching behavior.

It seems that the web has changed since then. Recently we found that
constructing a version string similar to the Chromium user agent
(except replacing "Chromium" with "Epiphany" or "WebKitGTK+")
triggered the "you are Safari, but not Safari desktop" path in
Typekit, thus breaking custom fonts on many sites. Experimentation
suggested that Typekit had three separate paths:

1. Safari with the OS X in the first parenthesis - Safari desktop - fonts on
2. Safari with something else in the first parenthesis - Safari mobile
- fonts off
3. Safari with something else in the first parenthesis, but also
including the string Chrome/Chromium - Chromium - fonts on

We chose between faking Chromium or faking OS X on all operating
systems. We are now a port of Chromium called "WebKitGTK+". I don't
see any easy way out of this mess.

--Martin