[webkit-dev] Default viewport value on WAP DTDs

Hugo Parente Lima hugo.lima at openbossa.org
Fri May 4 10:53:12 PDT 2012

On Friday, May 04, 2012 10:11:07 AM Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <
>
> kenneth.christiansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is not supporting XHTML-MP, as we are not implementing anything
> > special to support it. We are basically showing the content as it was
> > HTML5 and that solves most real use-cases. Injecting a proper viewport
> > configuration makes it also layout properly.
>
> Okay. Is this change observable by the page? Or more specifically, can a
> web page currently feature-detect whether a given browser support XHTML-MP
> by checking the size of the viewport?

The page knows nothing, just as it knows nothing about the ~980 pixels used
for the canvas width, it's a matter of change a magic value to the device-
width to get websites better looking.

I attached screenshots of MiniBrowser runnin with and without the patch using:

MiniBrowser --window-size 480x720 http://m.yahoo.com

Without patch (viewport of 980 pixels):
https://bug-85425-attachments.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=140272
Patched (viewport of 880 pixels)
https://bug-85425-attachments.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=140273

> If the answer is yes, then we'll be breaking the feature detection.
>
> Unfortunately most unknown mobile browsers tend to get lots of
>
> > XHTML-MP. Heck, we even get that for google.com on the Nokia N9 :-( as
> > well as other high profile sites.
>
> Yeah, it's very unfortunate.
>
> This makes the sites render acceptable, until we can advocate the
>
> > sites to accept our user agent, something which we haven't always had
> > luck with. Google for one didn't want to provide us the Tier 1 site of
> > google.com on the N9, even though it works a lot better than the
> > XHTML-MP version we are being served. I don't see this situation
> > change any time soon.
>
> Can we work-around this issue by faking the user agent string?

If you are working on your own browser you wont be telling every website that
you are a iPhone forever, at least you will not be happy doing that.

Regards.
Hugo Parente Lima