[webkit-dev] Default viewport value on WAP DTDs

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri May 4 10:11:07 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen <
kenneth.christiansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not supporting XHTML-MP, as we are not implementing anything
> special to support it. We are basically showing the content as it was
> HTML5 and that solves most real use-cases. Injecting a proper viewport
> configuration makes it also layout properly.

Okay. Is this change observable by the page? Or more specifically, can a
web page currently feature-detect whether a given browser support XHTML-MP
by checking the size of the viewport?

If the answer is yes, then we'll be breaking the feature detection.

Unfortunately most unknown mobile browsers tend to get lots of
> XHTML-MP. Heck, we even get that for google.com on the Nokia N9 :-( as
> well as other high profile sites.

Yeah, it's very unfortunate.

This makes the sites render acceptable, until we can advocate the
> sites to accept our user agent, something which we haven't always had
> luck with. Google for one didn't want to provide us the Tier 1 site of
> google.com on the N9, even though it works a lot better than the
> XHTML-MP version we are being served. I don't see this situation
> change any time soon.

Can we work-around this issue by faking the user agent string?

- Ryosuke