[webkit-dev] Feature Announcement: Adding <iframe seamless>

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue May 1 16:39:03 PDT 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>> On May 1, 2012, at 3:31 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:
>>> Is your goal to be able to disable the feature to prevent a late-known
>>> security issue?
>>>
>>> Or is your goal to universally disable seamless for a port entirely?
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand the difference between these. The capability I'm looking for is to disable the entire feature if necessary. However, I don't expect that any ports Apple is involved with would leave it off indefinitely. I hope that answers your questions.
>
> One approach to ENABLE_SEAMLESS is to put the "seamless" property on
> HTMLIFrameElement behind [Conditional=SEAMLESS] and then to change
> Document::mayDisplaySeamlessWithParent to always return false.  That
> should make the feature invisible to the web.  The changes to the
> layout and navigation algorithms wouldn't be ifdefed, but they'll do
> the same things they do today because the engine won't ever treat an
> iframe as seamless.

I'm not too picky about how it's done, but I'd feel more comfortable with #ifdef protecting the code changes rather than if(). If the changes are so entangled that it's not easy to put only the changes in an ifdef, then I would be skeptical that they actually have no possible effect on the non-seamless case. If they aren't that entangled, then adding the right #ifdef should be straightforward.

Regards,
Maciej