[webkit-dev] Using GitHub to Contribute to WebKit (Experimental)

Hajime Morrita morrita at chromium.org
Fri Mar 16 03:48:46 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 16.03.2012, 04:41, "Adam Barth" <abarth at webkit.org>:
>> Hi webkit-dev,
>>
>> After reading last week's discussion about switching the project to
>> git, I wondered if it would be possible to get some of the benefits of
>> git-style development without forcing everyone to switch to git.
>>
>> One of the benefits of git-style development is the ability to review
>> a series of patches at once.  GitHub has some nice tools to reviewing
>> pull requests, so I wrote up a short wiki page describing how someone
>> might use GitHub to contribute to WebKit:
>>
>> https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/UsingGitHub
>>
>> I'm not sure we'll want to switch the whole project over to GitHub any
>> time soon, but it might be something that folks who like git might
>> want to experiment with.
>
> Don't you consider using Gerrit[1]? It's more effective review tool for git.

The hardest part would be finishing the setup and making it up and running.
Unlike the build slaves which can go down and lost sometimes,
The code review records need to be more permanent
since people want to read the conversation and see how decisions were made.

That's being said, I personally agree that Gerrit can be a great choice.
Starting from an experiment like Adam is suggesting to GitHub won't hurt,
if someone does setup the server.

--
morrita