[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sun Mar 11 00:01:15 PST 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Pablo Flouret <pablof at motorola.com> wrote:

> I'd prefer to see something closer to what 'git format-patch' spits out.
> Basically you give it a commit range and it spits out one diff per commit,
> including the commit message.

That seems to imply we're completely changing the semantics and the format
of change logs. I'd rather not get into such a discussion on this thread,
and I think that's a much more controversial change.

So you'd have a patch that includes commit messages ready for reviewers'
> perusal (which i presume is the biggest reason changelogs still exist?)

Please go through the webkit-dev archive before in the past 3 years :)

In my most frequent workflow i make a patch, submit it, make a local commit
> in git for myself (in a branch) and then move on to other things (in a
> different branch perhaps). Then when review comments come in, i address
> them, make a local commit with those changes, and upload a patch by giving
> a range to webkit-patch. ChangeLog files are a pain in the ass in this
> case. Also, reviewers don't get to see what changed between the two patches
> i uploaded, which a patch coming from format-patch would show.

Being able to see changes between two patches will be a very valuable tool.
I always open two review pages side-by-side to see what has changed in new
patch. However, such a review tool can be implemented on Bugzilla without
moving to git.

In fact, the diff's between two local git commits is of little use for me
as a reviewer because what I want to see is the diff between the latest
patch and the last patch I looked at.

- Ryosuke