[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Mark Rowe mrowe at apple.com
Fri Mar 9 12:05:49 PST 2012

On 2012-03-09, at 09:15, Kalle Vahlman <kalle.vahlman at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/3/9 Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org>:
>> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Ashod Nakashian <ashodnakashian at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I think if we address the main issues raised by the svn users, the current
>>> consensus (if representative) seems to point towards an overwhelming support
>>> (and demand?) for git over svn. On that point it's reasonable to say that
>>> we're heading towards option #1 or #2 of Maciej. As such, I'm humbly
>>> proposing the following (hopefully without getting ahead of myself):
>>

>> Frankly, I don't quite understand the benefit of this transition. Do we
>> really need to move to git? If the only problem of keeping svn was about
>> svn-apply being broken, I'm more than happy to fix that script.
>
> I think you missed the part where the impact on servers was discussed.
> If every time someone does "svn log" the server needs to not receive
> or deal out commits, it will show in response times. I'm sure people
> using svn do not check the log often, for obvious reasons, but it is
> still a factor to consider.

Making operations like 'log' not hit the server would obviously be nice, but the vast majority of the load on the Subversion server is from update or checkout operations.  Do you have a pointer to any concrete data about the relative load on a server for Git vs Subversion in terms of these operations?

Thanks,

- Mark