[webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Mar 8 15:22:16 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM, David Barr <davidbarr at google.com> wrote:
> The monotonic labels that Ryosuke desires are known in git language as
> "generation numbers". If we maintain a canonical linear history going
> forward, they would also be unique as with Subversion. This could be a
> good reason to resurrect the relevant thread on the git mailing list.

slightly-offtopic, but I had not heard of "generation numbers" before.
Based on a cursory web-learning pass (*), it sounds like they're not
quite the same thing as SVN revisions, since SVN revision numers are
unique to a repo, and two revisions on two different branches may have
the same generation number. Since we do actually keep branches in the
master repo, this wouldn't quite be the same  (although it might
possibly be acceptable). Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

-- Dirk

(*) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6702821/git-commit-generation-numbers