[webkit-dev] spinoff from webkit-patch -g discussion

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Mar 1 10:56:26 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM, David Kilzer <ddkilzer at webkit.org> wrote:
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 3:28 PM, Dirk Pranke wrote:
>
>> In my view, I would actually rather upload the combination of
>> committed + staged + unstaged changes rather than be told I have to
>> commit things; in other words, I actually prefer to commit what I've
>> uploaded rather than upload what I've committed.
>
> Ah!  This explains why I use webkit-patch differently.  With many local branches, leaving staged/unstaged changes in the source tree would make it impossible to switch branches easily.  I also don't think of bugs.webkit.org as an ancillary source code repository (if I delete my local changes), but maybe that's because I'm uploading fewer patches to bugs.webkit.org.

I'm only talking about handling ChangeLogs (and the final step of
uploading a patch); generally speaking, I keep stuff committed
locally, and I switch branches all the time.

Because I am often working on either a largish change that'll need to
be broken up for review, or several changes in parallel, I tend to
defer generating the ChangeLog to the very last thing I do before
uploading (so that the list of changes is correct and so the risk of
merge conflicts is smaller). In that case having to do a prepare, then
a commit, then an upload, is slightly more annoying that just upload
and commit (especially since the diff in the upload often shows me
some minor changes I need clean up).

-- Dirk