[webkit-dev] Can we distinguish imported tests in LayoutTests/css3 ?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Jun 11 19:38:29 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Mike Lawther <mikelawther at chromium.org>wrote:

> I did so because I not all my tests are 'text only' tests, but I still
> wanted them all together. My understanding was that the 'fast' directory
> was intended for 'text only' tests only.

That's not the case. The reason we have many pixel tests in css1, css2.1,
and css3 directories compared to fast is because imported tests tend to be
pixel tests whereas we try to create text-only tests.

Does having the 'fast' directory still serve a useful purpose?

It's a historical artifact at this point as far as I'm concerned.

> I reckon the original intent could be pushed into the tools, eg have a
> 'new-run-webkit-tests --fast', which will only run text-only tests. Then
> the developer adding new tests doesn't have to worry about where to put
> them.

While I agree on the usefulness of --fast option, the slowness of a test
doesn't necessarily come from text vs. pixel tests. It depends more on what
each test is testing. There are lots of text-only tests that are very slow.

- Ryosuke