[webkit-dev] Renaming DumpRenderTree to WebKitTestRunner or merging those two

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sun Jun 3 17:33:11 PDT 2012

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 3, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> I am on vacation so I won't be able to review your patch in detail, but from your description it sounds less appealing to me than the WKTR approach. It seems like bad layering to me to define the IDL interface in WebCore for something actually implemented completely outside of WebCore.
>
> While you're right that it's somewhat of a layer violation to define the IDL for layoutTestController, WebCoreTestSupport appears to be the most logical place to share files between DumpRenderTree and WebKitTestRunner at the moment unless we're going to create another project/library in Tools.

The downside is that they would be using internal WebCore interfaces instead of the public interface as originally intended. I do not think that is a good change, nor does it seem required just to share more code.

> It also seems better to use the public interface to the JS engine rather than the internal interface, even though this requires additional codegen back ends (one of which is already written). But, I may be missing advantages to your approach, since I only gave it a quick glance.
>
> My intention is to contain all interactions with the JS engine within WebCoreTestSupport so that you'd never see JSStringRef, JSContextRef, etc... (or their V8 equivalents) in LayoutTestController code.
>
> Now, we wouldn't have this problem if we were merging DumpRenderTree into WebKitTestRunner, but that appears to be unrealistic at the moment as far I've read the code.

I think that is actually a good longer term goal, though I can see that the way to get there is non-obvious. Even putting them in one directory to more easily share some files would be good IMO. The tricky bit would be to ensure that ports where WK1 and WK2 versions are both applicable can build both simultaneously.

(I also agree with your earlier comment that DumpRenderTree isn't the greatest name.)

Maybe Sam has thoughts, since I think he is the one who decided to make WKTR completely separate from DRT in the first place.

 - Maciej