[webkit-dev] Initial painting time changed?

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Mon Jan 30 12:44:39 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Nikolas Zimmermann <
zimmermann at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Am 30.01.2012 um 19:38 schrieb James Robinson:
>

>> The document was laid out and painted once before the timeout fired. Most
>> SVG repainting tests work this way: setup document initially, then use a
>> setTimeout(doSomething, 0) to eg. change an attribute, then dump the
>> document to capture that invalidations/repaints work properly.
>>

> That's racy and doesn't match what actual browsers will do.
>
> Not correct, this was never racy, and the usual way we're testing since
> half a decade.
> This has changed recently w/o a note, which is not acceptable.
>
> If you want to paint at a specific time in a repaint test, use
> layoutTestController.display().
>
> That's only an option, if we could use it to force repainting w/o painting
> gray rectangle first (eg. add a bool flag to display, that toggles graying
> the view first or not)
>

>> Does that ring a bell to anyone? Why is the initial painting not done
>> yet, if setTimeout(, 0) fires the first time?
>> There's also an extra setTimeout needed now, before calling notifyDone(),
>> otherwise the repaint is not captured.
>>
>> Currently most SVG tests that exercise dynamic updates are useless, as
>> the painting always happens after the whole script ran, that means it's not
>> possible to capture repaint problems at the moment w/o fixing all these
>> tests.
>>

> I think you should fix the tests.
>

> Well, I still think such a change in behavior should be discussed first,
> w/o breaking existing test coverage.
> It's also a bit much to ask me to fix sth. around 500-1000 tests?

I didn't see any regressions, pixel tests or otherwise, when running with
this patch, nor did the bots.  What platform / test configuration are you
seeing issues on?

This should not be an observable change in behavior.  setTimeout() vs
painting behavior has never been guaranteed in DRT or in actual browsers.

- James