[webkit-dev] Initial painting time changed?

Nikolas Zimmermann zimmermann at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Jan 30 12:19:10 PST 2012

Am 30.01.2012 um 19:38 schrieb James Robinson:

> The document was laid out and painted once before the timeout fired. Most SVG repainting tests work this way: setup document initially, then use a setTimeout(doSomething, 0) to eg. change an attribute, then dump the document to capture that invalidations/repaints work properly.
>
> That's racy and doesn't match what actual browsers will do.

Not correct, this was never racy, and the usual way we're testing since half a decade.
This has changed recently w/o a note, which is not acceptable.

> If you want to paint at a specific time in a repaint test, use layoutTestController.display().

That's only an option, if we could use it to force repainting w/o painting gray rectangle first (eg. add a bool flag to display, that toggles graying the view first or not)

> Does that ring a bell to anyone? Why is the initial painting not done yet, if setTimeout(, 0) fires the first time?
> There's also an extra setTimeout needed now, before calling notifyDone(), otherwise the repaint is not captured.
>
> Currently most SVG tests that exercise dynamic updates are useless, as the painting always happens after the whole script ran, that means it's not possible to capture repaint problems at the moment w/o fixing all these tests.
>
> I think you should fix the tests.

Well, I still think such a change in behavior should be discussed first, w/o breaking existing test coverage.
It's also a bit much to ask me to fix sth. around 500-1000 tests?

Cheers,
Niko