[webkit-dev] Changing the implementation of KURL

Darin Fisher darin at chromium.org
Thu Jan 26 23:17:20 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to give another shot at the URL implementation Adam
> started some times ago.
>
> There are a few problems with the current KURL:
> -there are two implementations: WebKit and Google URL
> -some stuff are just plain incorrect :)
> -the WebKit implementation has some bugs which makes it differs from
> GoogleURL (and in some cases, the other engines)
>
> So I would like to:
> 1) put back WTF URL in trunk
> 2) add an implementation of KURL based on ParsedURL with a new USE(WTFURL)
> 3) fix the tests until we match at least the current KURL
> 4) fix the performance gap, if any
> 5) kill the current KURL, remove the flag USE(WTFURL)
> 6) fix the remaining tests
>
> If that fails. We can get rid of USE(WTFURL), and resume fixing the
> bug for current's KURL.
>
> Any comments? Suggestions?

Instead of doing all of this work, have you considered just treating
GoogleURL in much the same way as WebKit treats ANGLE?  You could perhaps
just commit a copy of GoogleURL into Source/ThirdParty, and then WebKit as
a whole could switch to a consistent KURL implementation.

This alternative seems like a very small amount of work and yields almost
all of the benefits of creating WTFURL.  The only downside would seem to be
the extra overhead associated with making changes to GoogleURL.  Has that
sort of cost been an issue with ANGLE?  Do you anticipate wanting to make a
lot of significant code changes, or would you primarily just be concerned
about the ease of bug fixing?

Also, be mindful that if your goal is to avoid having two implementions of
KURL, then part of accomplishing that goal is also switching Chromium over
to WTFURL.  I'm guessing that is probably not in your plans.  Do you know
if someone is motivated to make that happen?  (Chromium consumes GoogleURL
directly, albeit mostly through the GURL front-end, which might be portable
to WTFURL.)

Regards,
-Darin