[webkit-dev] Removing deprecatedFrameEncoding

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jan 24 16:05:21 PST 2012

On 2012-01-25 00:57, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> 24.01.2012, в 15:10, Julian Reschke написал(а):
>
>> b) RFC 6266 works without UA sniffing if you're willing to serve plain ASCII to legacy browsers (IE<  9 and Safari)
>
> We are talking about how to encode existing non-ASCII file names, there is no equivalent plain ASCII to send instead.
>
>> We had almost the same discussion over 15 months ago. I recommend you read the mailing list archives.
>
> I didn't ask for this discussion to be repeated. You kept asking about the right thing to do, and sending UTF-8 bytes is clearly the right and forward looking thing to do.

It does not work in some of the current browsers. It will not work in
new versions of these browsers unless their makers change their position
on backwards compatibility. It's not an option.

So your point of view is understood, noted, but not helpful.

And yes, if we started from scratch it would be the right thing to do.
But we aren't.

As a matter of fact, just this morning I added "fix I18N in header
fields" to my wish list for HTTP/2.0.

Best regards, Juluab