[webkit-dev] Removing deprecatedFrameEncoding

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jan 24 15:10:44 PST 2012

On 2012-01-25 00:02, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

>>> What exactly am I spreading FUD about?
>>
>> "has no purpose here"
>
> That's not fear, uncertainty, or doubt.
>
>> Again, please make a proposal that is deployable and works without UA sniffing. I'm listening.
>
> RFC 6266 doesn't work without UA sniffing, and even more so as we consider deployed browser versions, not just latest ones.

a) no proposal does work with all legacy browsers

b) RFC 6266 works without UA sniffing if you're willing to serve plain
ASCII to legacy browsers (IE < 9 and Safari)

> An authoring requirement to send UTF-8 (except for a blacklist of browsers that don't support it), plus a browser algorithm that matches Safari (perhaps with RFC 5987 style encoding added as another legacy fallback) fit the bill if allowed to be on equal footing with the existing request for comments.

So please head over to Microsoft and ask them to make an incompatible
change to their behavior. Good luck with that.

We had almost the same discussion over 15 months ago. I recommend you
read the mailing list archives.

Best regards, Julian