[webkit-dev] The Care and Feeding of WebCore Modules

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Tue Feb 28 12:40:25 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> From the initial mail about modules, I got the (perhaps mistaken) impression
> that it would be used only for selected features that had very loose
> coupling and were perhaps not even of interest to every port. That seemed
> like a fine experiment to try, to see if it actually reduces the impact of
> these features.

I'm sorry if you got a mistaken impression from Kentaro's recent
email, but it was far from the "initial" mail on this topic.  We've
discussed this topic a number of times on webkit-dev over the past
several months as we've been designing and prototyping this mechanism.
 For example, there is a thread from November that contains a sketch
of which existing parts of WebCore we thought were good candidates for
moving into the Modules directory (then called "Features"):

https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-November/018611.html

We've revised our thinking somewhat since then based on feedback from
Darin Adler and implementation experience with intents, mediastream,
and gamepad.  For example, we no longer think that inspector is a good
candidate because it's deeply integrated with the rest of WebCore.

Adam