[webkit-dev] The Care and Feeding of WebCore Modules

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Tue Feb 28 11:53:54 PST 2012

28.02.2012, в 11:25, Darin Fisher написал(а):

> Is this something the build system could help address?  Perhaps a by-product of the build is or could be a single file that contains everything that will be exposed on WorkerContext / DOMWindow?

Some of these concerns could be alleviated with automation, although it's hard to come up with something that's simpler than one #ifdefed line of code.

The other issues seem more conceptual:
- harder to tell what's implemented in a given object;
- navigating source code is harder when you can no longer expect a property of Window to be in Window.idl (or DOMWindow.idl);
- separation of concerns seems incorrect (not all code with "WebSocket" in the name is WebSocket code is the concern of engineers who solely focus on WebSocket).

I think that the Supplemental technique will be useful for new contentious features, but the direction should be that some of the code will be merged back into files like Window.idl if the feature ever matures, not the other way around.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov