[webkit-dev] Regarding enabling Accelerated 2D Canvas for Android Webkit

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Feb 16 08:49:10 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 4:25 AM, Avi D <www.avid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am fairly new to Webkit. I am currently trying to Enable
> ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS flag for my build.
> When the Flag was enabled (changed in Platform.h -> #define
> ENABLE_ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS 1), I got some build errors related to
> GraphicsContext3D.
> On further digging into the information, I found that there was a Webkit
> port which was planned for Android but was later cancelled due to Android
> using the Chromium port. I did not find much information but for a blog
> Doorthy team which claimed to have succesfully enabled Accelerated 2D
> Canvas.
>
> I have 3 questions:
> 1. Is android porting required for resolving this error? (i.e, Enabling
> ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS)
> 2. Can i use Chromium port for using the ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS? If yes, then
> how?
> 3. Is there any other way to get ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS working for the
> current android webkit?
>
> I am currently working on Webkit version:84325.

That revision of WebKit is 10 months old.  There has been a
substantial amount of work done on ACCELERATED_2D_CANVAS in the last
10 months.  You'll likely need to update your version of WebKit to the
latest revision.

With regards to your question specifically, the Chromium Android port
does indeed hardware accelerate its <canvas>.  We're in the process of
landing the Chromium Android port in trunk, but that process is not
complete yet.  You'll likely have better luck getting it all working
once we finish landing the port.

Hope that helps,
Adam