[webkit-dev] Including new IETestCenter tests in the LayoutTests

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Wed Feb 15 02:26:41 PST 2012

The code we submit in WebKit has to be BSD or LGPL compatible code.
(/me remember how hard it is to find real world CSS BSD compatible
chunk to write a perf test)

I found http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/cc300389.aspx then you have to
see if that is ok for us. In any case the copyright is Microsoft.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Dave Tharp <dtharp at codeaurora.org> wrote:
>> I am currently looking at the WebKit CSS3  failures on IETestCenter
>> (http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/ietestcenter/ ).
>>
>> I’m making some progress, and getting ready to submit a patch.  I’ve
>> contacted Beth Dakin about my approach on the first patch, and she says I
>> should proceed.
>>
>> As part of the patch, of course I need to submit a passing layout test.
>> This is where a question for the community arises:
>>
>> Presuming it is legal (I have my legal department looking at it),  I think
>> it makes sense to bring in the tests verbatim from the IETestCenter site.  I
>> do understand that there will likely be some overlap (thus, inefficiency) in
>> coverage, but I think having a complete, identical set of tests will make it
>> easier to verify WebKit’s performance in this test suite.  There is a
>> precedent for this:  the IETestCenter javascript tests are already present
>> in the LayoutTests tree.
>
> Assuming there are no legal barriers, importing the whole test suite
> would be valuable.  The LayoutTests contain a number of test suites
> developed externally (e.g., acid3, W3C conformance tests).  Some of
> these tests are redundant with other tests, but having the whole test
> suite as a unit is valuable itself.
>
>> The alternative is to write new tests or enhance existing tests in the
>> current LayoutTests tree.
>>
>> I’m open to either approach,  just need some direction from the team.
>
> That path is also fine.  I would encourage you to import all of the IE
> test center CSS tests (assuming it passes legal muster).
>
> Adam

Alexis Menard (darktears)
Software Engineer
INdT Recife Brazil