[webkit-dev] Sponsoring development of CMYK support in Webkit

Tom Taylor tom at newspaperclub.com
Fri Feb 3 02:22:59 PST 2012

[I first sent this to webkit-help, but I think it might be more suited
to webkit-dev. If not, apologies.]

Hello,

Apologies if this should be on webkit-jobs list. It's more of a general
question rather than a specific job placement.

We at Newspaper Club <http://www.newspaperclub.com> are interested in
sponsoring (with money!) the development of CMYK support in Webkit, to
support the generation of high quality printed media from browser content.

Specifically:

- Adding CMYK color support, such as in the CSS Generated Content for
Paged Media Module <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#cmyk-colors>,
converting to RGB for screen display, but preserving the CMYK values
when rendered to PDF for printing.

- Ensuring that both RGB and CMYK images are converted to CMYK rasters
when rendered to PDF for printing.

- Possibly the Page Floats spec, as described in the CSS Generated
Content for Paged Media Module
<http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-gcpm/#page-floats>.

This, combined with the CSS Regions work from Adobe, could provide a
really powerful layout tool for printed media, all in browser.

If you're interested, drop me a line here, or off list, with your
thoughts on the sanity of these features and the effort required.

Thanks,

Tom