[webkit-dev] Please avoid rolling out patches speculatively and reland them ASAP if you had to

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Tue Dec 11 14:14:41 PST 2012

I don't understand why anyone is _speculatively_ rolling out patches.

You should only be rolling it out if you _know_ the patch is bad.

That said if you do rollout a random unrelated patch it is obviously your job to roll it back in.  You can't say "i thought this broke something, but i was wrong.  Here you can have that bug again."  There is no case where the original author needs to be involved as we've already determined that they did nothing wrong - the original breakage (of whatever form) was not caused by the patch you selected randomly, and they were not the author responsible for landing anything (eg. the rollout).

--Oliver