[webkit-dev] Prefix naming scheme for DOM-exposed functions

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Mon Dec 10 11:21:13 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> Would this involve creating a bindingsFoo() for every method foo() that is
> exposed to bindings? For example, would we have to add
> XMLHttpRequest::bindingsSend(), even though there's no real need for a
> special internal XMLHttpRequest::send()? Would getters and setters that map
> to JavaScript properties (but which do not reflect markup attributes) also
> need a bindings... version? For example, would we need
> HTMLMediaElement::bindingsMuted() and HTMLMediaElement::bindingsSetMuted()
> to wrap the regular muted() and setMuted()?

I see no internal clients for HTMLMediaElement::muted()/setMuted() so there
would be no need for internal versions for it. I suspect that in many cases
we would at most need an internal accessor (which could then properly
follow our naming conventions HTMLMediaElement::isMuted()).

> If the answer to these questions is "yes", then I think this is too much
> complexity tax on all exposed methods and properties to make up for the
> benefit. It's likely only a minority of methods where it's highly desirable
> to have a specialized version for internal use.

Probably the only way to find out is try doing it and seeing how the patch
ends up looking like.

> As a side note, I don't see how this would address the concrete example
> given, that of firstElementChild likely becoming more efficient than
> firstChild. If we add bindingsFirstChild() and bindingsFirstElementChild(),
> how does this help WebCore developers know that they should use the
> internal firstElementChild() instead of the internal firstChild()? I expect
> both have to exist, because there really are cases where you need to
> traverse the whole DOM, not just elements, and even if we were to convert,
> firstElementChild() is not a drop-in replacement.

This would create more freedom for our internal document tree to diverge
from how it looks like through the DOM api. For example internal
firstChild() that returns Node* may no longer make sense at all if we
eliminate Text nodes.

  antti