[webkit-dev] Using GitHub to Contribute to WebKit (Experimental)

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Sun Apr 29 10:28:13 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Adam Roben <aroben at webkit.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>> > Can we do some Bugzilla integration as Jarred suggested?
>>
>> If you're excited about using GitHub, you should feel free to do that work.
>
> It sounds like there is already work going on on GitHub (e.g., the
> <iframe seamless> support) even though this integration hasn't yet
> been built. I echo Ariya and Ryosuke's concern that the reduced
> visibility of that work makes it harder for WebKit contributors to
> provide feedback, or even to realize that the work is going on. Is
> there anyone working on improving the integration between GitHub and
> our current tools so that work that occurs there can be as easily
> discovered as work that goes on in bugs.webkit.org?

I don't believe so.

The <iframe seamless> work, in particular, was announced on
webkit-dev, so folks shouldn't have trouble finding it.  Some (small)
parts of the branch have landed in trunk, but we put them through the
normal bugs.webkit.org review process.

My sense is that we're still experimenting with GitHub, so investing
in integration still seems a bit premature.  GitHub certainly made it
easy for me to contribute the navigation part of seamless to Eric's
branch, which seems like a win over him using SVN, patch files, or
even git locally.  I'll update the wiki after seamless lands to
reflect what we've learned.

Adam