[webkit-dev] Debugging With Xcode

Jarred Nicholls jarred at webkit.org
Mon Apr 23 19:07:51 PDT 2012

On Apr 23, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Eric Seidel <eric at webkit.org> wrote:

> Does anyone still debug WebKit on Mac OS X with Xcode 4?
>

> 1.  I don't know how to actually set up Xcode to point to WebKitBuild
> like it used to.
> http://www.webkit.org/building/debug.html
> Mentions a "Legacy" option which does not exist for me.
>
> Simon Fraser helped me set up WebKitBuild on one of my machines, but I
> don't really know how to repeat that process.
>

> 2.  Xcode tries to "Re-index" WebCore, seemingly every time I open
> WebCore.xcodeproj.  This is a hour+ process on my 12-core Mac Pro!
>
> The re-indexing takes a lot of processing power, and seems to render
> both my machine, and Xcode largely unusable.
>

> I understand that Xcode isn't really designed for projects as large as
> WebCore, but we've made it work in the past, and I'm curious if anyone
> is still making it work?
>

> If the Apple folks have any suggestions or updates to
> http://www.webkit.org/building/debug.html, they would be most
> appreciated. :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> -eric
>
> Xcode 4.2.1
> Build version 4D502

I usually create an empty project, add the source files I care about, and then attach to the appropriate renderer process - but also use WebCore.xcodeproj directly on occasion.  I run the same version as you and once ran into an infinite indexing cycle, but after a swift kick from Activity Monitor, I haven't seen it again.  Xcode works great as a gdb front end for me.