[webkit-dev] Is converting pixel tests to reftests kosher for imported libraries?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Apr 12 13:45:21 PDT 2012

I've done more digging and talked with folks from Mozilla and Opera about
this topic. Here's a summary.

Daniel Glazman from Opera has tried adding reference files for W3C's:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Sep/0030.html

However, some people in the CSS working group opposed to make this change
in last minute because it would have delayed REC, and other parties did not
support the proposal enough to convince the WG as a whole to import the
reference files.
(See the member only mailing list around September 2010 if you have access).

Ms2ger also has more reference files available at
https://bitbucket.org/ms2ger/css-tests

On the other hand, CSS3 test suite consists entirely of reference tests and
testharness.js tests (js text based tests). Given that and TabAtkins and
other folks at the CSS WG now prefer reference tests over pixel tests in
addition to the fact CSS2.1 has already been REC'ed, it might be possible
for us to convince the WG to convert the existing tests now.

In my opinion, we should definitely try to make changes upstream because
then virtually all browser vendors will benefit.

- Ryosuke