[webkit-dev] importing test suites (was: CSS 2.1 Test Suite)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Apr 11 16:15:11 PDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Jacob Goldstein <jacobg at adobe.com> wrote:

> Don't people currently fix tests that are failing and that they didn't
> author?

We don't fix imported tests if you meant modifying html files, etc... to
fix a broken test file.

If so, isn't that similar as generating a new ref file in that you first
> have to understand what is being tested?  There would be the old pixel file
> to go from, so in many cases this may not be too hard.

Yes, but determining whether a pixel result is correct or not is easier
than determining whether a reference file is correct AND adequately
addresses all intended test purposes.

On the other hand, having the test author create the ref file is definitely
> preferable.  What would we do in the case where a test author is no longer
> available?

Someone needs to figure out the intended purpose of the test and make a
call. I've done quite few of those for editing tests we have (not imported
tests); I've converted them to dumpAsText and dump-as-markup tests.

- Ryosuke