[webkit-dev] Version control survey results

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Sat Apr 7 16:58:10 PDT 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 9:16 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>> I made a bad choice of survey site. They want to charge me to see more than
>> Please try this survey instead, it will run through the 17th.
>
> The survey seems to be over.  Any word on the results?

Here's the results:

== All persons responding ==

Total responses: 167
Use SVN only: 24 (14%)
Use SVN+ Git: 26 (16%)
Use Git Only: 115 (69%)
Other: 2 (1%)

== Only committers + reviewers ==

Total responses: 105
Use SVN only: 18 (17%)
Use SVN+ Git: 21 (20%)
Use Git Only: 65 (62%)
Other: 1 (1%)

== Only reviewers ==

Total responses: 48
Use SVN only: 12 (25%)
Use SVN+ Git: 13 (27%)
Use Git Only: 22 (45%)
Other: 1 (2%)

== Values of "other" responses ==

1 "git-svn"
1 "Commit queue + trac"

== Conclusions (assuming the sample is representative) ==

- More of the WebKit community uses Git than SVN to access the WebKit repository
- Quite a few people use both
- A significant proportion of the community uses SVN, and a significant fraction of those use it exclusively
- Reviewers (presumably longer-time, more experienced contributors) are more likely to use SVN than newer contributors
- Newer participants are particularly likely to use Git