[webkit-dev] Enable REQUEST_ANIMATION_FRAME on all ports? (was Re: ENABLE flag cleanup strawman proposal)

James Robinson jamesr at google.com
Sun Sep 25 00:20:05 PDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Adam Barth <abarth at webkit.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> That might make sense to always enable.  It seems to be very popular.
> >
> > REQUEST_ANIMATION_FRAME appears not to be enabled for GTK, Qt, or
> > AppleWin.  Is there port-specific work that needs to be done to enable
> > the feature for those ports?
>
> Looking a the code briefly, it appears that the
> USE(REQUEST_ANIMATION_FRAME_TIMER) flavor doesn't require
> port-specific work, but the non-timer version had a dependency on
> ChromeClient::scheduleAnimation().
>
> I'll try to cook up a patch that enables REQUEST_ANIMATION_FRAME
> everywhere and uses USE(REQUEST_ANIMATION_FRAME_TIMER) on ports
> without ChromeClient::scheduleAnimation().

The TIMER based support for RAF is very new (only a few weeks old) and still
has several major bugs.  I'd suggest letting it bake for a bit before
considering turning it on for all ports.  Fundamentally I don't think this
feature can be implemented reasonably well with just timers, so port
maintainers should take a really careful look at the level of support they
want to have for this feature when deciding if they want to support it.

- James