[webkit-dev] run-bindings-tests

Oliver Hunt oliver at apple.com
Thu Sep 8 23:02:18 PDT 2011

On Sep 8, 2011, at 7:21 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov wrote:

> 08.09.2011, в 12:25, Darin Adler написал(а):
>
>> I find the bindings tests quite helpful. Because the perl script is so hard to read, it’s the changes in bindings script test results that I look at when reviewing changes to the bindings scripts. The fact that the results are checked in helps me review patches.
>
> OK, then they are valuable indeed.
>
> However, I still feel that there is a disconnect between the desired effect (provide a diff in a patch for review) and the implementation (tests that can pass or fail). This also puts the burden of maintaining the results on people who needn't care about them - for example, Oliver's patch clearly didn't need someone look over generated code changes.

I think the argument is that it _did_ need someone -> the reviewer didn't have any "nice" way to see the difference in output that would have been visible had i included updates to the expected output.

My problem with the test is that it isn't run as part of run-webkit-tests (which is what we say you must run), the test output is fairly awful, and the test script doesn't support --help, or --reset (it turns out it does have an equivalent to --reset, but why use a different argument in one tool from what we use in the main one?)

--Oliver