[webkit-dev] Gamepad API [Was: New feature flag proposal: Joystick API]

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Thu Oct 13 11:02:38 PDT 2011

13.10.2011, в 7:15, Scott Graham написал(а):

> Personally, I see Gamepad as a representative name rather than
> necessarily all encompassing. Analogously we use "Mouse" in other
> specs. Many people use trackballs, trackpads, joystick-like devices,
> etc. to control "some indexed buttons with a 2d location + scrolling
> indications". This is because there's no particularly better word for
> that input concept than "mouse". I believe this is the case for
> "gamepad" too.

The need to emulate mouse is forced by web compatibility. It's hardly a success story for coherent API design - beyond lowest common denominator functionality, you have to use completely separate APIs for touch, for example.

Besides, it's surprising to me that gamepad can be seen as a representative name for wheels or 3d mice.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov