[webkit-dev] New feature flag proposal: Joystick API

Peter Kasting pkasting at chromium.org
Thu Oct 6 13:49:15 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> 06.10.2011, в 13:23, Peter Kasting написал(а):
>
> Why are you convinced there is input device fragmentation here?  My
> understanding is that the spec as proposed already handles multi-axis
> digital and analog controls so things you mentioned earlier like wheels and
> 3d mice would all "just work" along with gamepads and joysticks.
>

> If accurate, that could be a great resolution to the dispute.
>
> I do not know enough about these devices to say whether wheels and 3d mice
> (as an example) are covered. The spec<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/default/gamepad.html> explicitly
> states that it's about "gamepad devices (also known as joysticks)".

Spec section 3 states:

"This allows support for devices common to current gaming systems including
gamepads, directional pads, joysticks, wheels, pedals, accelerometers. It
excludes support for more complex devices that do motion sensing, depth
sensing, video analysis, gesture recognition, and so on."

It seems to me that this is an appropriate line to draw.  Devices like the
Kinect seem categorically different from most classical game input devices
and I think it's reasonable to exclude them from the first version of the
spec, as long as it covers the other types of things fairly well.

PK