[webkit-dev] Change to style guideline: should use type& instead of type* for out arguments

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Oct 4 19:21:35 PDT 2011

I wasn't aware of this convention until you pointed out but I agree that we
should include it in the guideline.

- Ryosuke
On Oct 4, 2011 6:01 PM, "Darin Adler" <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2011, at 2:06 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>
>> It came to my attention that some people are using raw pointers to pass
out-arguments (e.g. bug 69366). In my understanding, we use pass by
reference for out arguments when they have to be modified in callees.

>> If there's no objection, I'm going to file a bug & upload a patch to
state this explicitly in the style guideline.

> If it’s not already in there, I think you might also want to mention the
related rule that encourages the use of the word “get” at the starts of the
names of these functions with out arguments.