[webkit-dev] About the " Video conferencing and peer-to-peer communication" implementation

Harald Alvestrand hta at webrtc.org
Thu Nov 10 02:23:38 PST 2011

Re status on data transmission:

The main discussion channel for the data stream is the IETF working group:
rtcweb at ietf.org
The core draft discussing the protocol tradeoffs is
draft-jesup-rtcweb-data-01, available from the usual IETF draft places.

The main discussion channel for the API is the W3C working group:
public-webrtc at w3.org

What protocol to use for the data channel is a subject of active discussion.
At the moment, the proposal that seems to have the least resistance for a
data channel protocol is userspace SCTP over DTLS over UDP. That it has
"the least resistance" is not the same as "no resistance" - there are pros
and cons to both this and all other solutions.

                 Harald (chair of the W3 WG)