[webkit-dev] About the " Video conferencing and peer-to-peer communication" implementation

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Thu Nov 10 00:57:18 PST 2011

On 11/10/11 12:32 AM, Kalle Vahlman wrote:
> 2011/11/10 Victor LI<rtjava at hotmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>> Does the webkit implements the chapter " Video conferencing and peer-to-peer
>> communication" now?
>> if it doesn't , is there any plan to support it?
> There are people working on it:
>
>    https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-November/018445.html
>
> I suppose bugzilla has bugs for this, although they are not mentioned
> in the announcement.
>
> Would probably be a good idea to have a tracking bug for this though?

Seems like there's need for consensus; a tracking bug might help
webkit-devs develop an internal consensus.

 From the spec, data section: "there is currently not enough agreement
on the data channel to write it up."
http://www.w3.org/TR/webrtc/#the-data-stream

Also, on the p2p communication side:

Seems like the only means of passing arbitrary binary data over P2P in
this spec is to flash a QR code in front of a web cam.

I don't want to see P2P implemented so conservatively in browsers that
it's restricted to webcams and pre-recorded audio-video files.

The spec mentions a "signaling channel" but that channel is coordinated
"via the server, e.g. using XMLHttpRequest.".

-Charles