[webkit-dev] Supporting w3c ref tests and changing our convention

Ryan Leavengood leavengood at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:39:11 PDT 2011

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:

> Separately, if we are throwing around numbers in the range of >100K
> for tests to run, we should consider when we actually want to run them
> - i.e., what will the cycle time be if we run them on every change,
> etc.? But that can be dealt with when we get there.

I would also like to throw out the idea of pulling the layout tests
out into their own repo, maybe even per platform. Currently the huge
number of layout tests in WebKit make many git operations unbearably
slow, such as git status, which basically does a stat() on every file
in a repo when the plain git status is used. Even on Linux where
stat() is mega-fast it takes many seconds to show git status even on a
clean checkout (at least on my laptop, which admittedly isn't the
fastest.) It is worse on other platforms with a slower stat().

But I expect there might be a lot of pushback on such an idea,
especially just to make one tool run faster.

Ryan