[webkit-dev] Adding CSS Regions and Exclusions to WebKit

Alan Stearns stearns at adobe.com
Mon May 30 08:49:37 PDT 2011

On 5/26/11 3:08 PM, "David Hyatt" <hyatt at apple.com> wrote:

On May 26, 2011, at 4:31 PM, Eric Seidel wrote:

I appreciate that you've followed the master-bug idiom which is so common in bugs.webkit.org <http://bugs.webkit.org/>  these days!

I also would *strongly* encourage you to post your changes in as small of patches as possible.  Integrating features which have been developed outside webkit.org <http://webkit.org/>  is always difficult, but doing things in small (or even tiny!) patches will make your life easiest in the long run.

I'm happy to help review your (small!) changes if CC'd.

I've encouraged them to begin with the CSS property back end, i.e., getting the new properties and values in and parsed.  I think it will be a good introduction to our process to start there, and it will also let them get familiar with writing regression tests.  I think those patches are more easily reviewed by many people as well, unlike the layout and rendering changes, which are quite advanced.

Following this advice, we’re preparing some initial patches that only contain the parsing code. I have been looking for pure parsing tests to use as examples for the tests we will need to submit with these patches, but I haven’t yet found anything to go on. I’m guessing that I’m not looking in the right place, or (for those who have followed this patch trajectory before) initial parsing tests get replaced with functional tests over time.

Does anyone have an example of good parsing validation they can point me to?

Thanks,

Alan